Friday, February 6, 2009

one would think...

a lovely rainy day would provide the perfect opportunity to snuggle up on the couch with all of the current WIPs i have, a cup of tea, maybe some snacks and have an all out marathon of Anthony Bourdain. God bless my tivo:) I could finish up these prayer flags that I have in process.



or maybe these cupcakes for the shop. they have only been cut out since last august!
maybe I could knock a few of those out?


get a good start on this little beauty.


one would think, right? Wrong, i have two children bouncing off the walls in here. I keep trying to set them up with cool activities, but they aren't falling for it. What they want, is to drive 1/2 hour away to our favorite Japanese market (it is raining, remember?) and shop for things that we can't read. It is one of our favorite games. Thing two (the 10 yr old) is a very adventurous eater. She loves all things from the ocean making Japanese food very easy for her. Seriously her favorite thing in the whole world are muscles???? I really love this about her but it baffles me! Thing one (the almost 3 yr old) won't eat anything but air! He loves the game but he's not eating it.


anyway, I don't feel like braving the freeways of southern california in the rain for said fun, not even with the bribe of lunch at the japanese food court. So i spent my morning browseing the internet for onigiri making tutorials. Found the perfect one over at cooking cute. I followed both the sushi rice tutorial and the onigiri tutorial and they worked like a charm.



we added this rice seasoning mix? at least that is what we think it is. The kids loved it and it took me all of 15 minutes to make them. If you have a rice maker, this would be even easier!



Don't even ponder the handmolded onigiri, the only thing they have going for them is that they can be larger. I say go for the plastic onigiri molds! Traditionally triangles, but you can now get them in all sorts of whacky shapes!

No comments: