I can't take credit for this article. It was written by two young homeschooled children who did their homework. I think it says it all.
Why you shouldn’t go to Sea World.
• In all of recorded history, no Orca has ever attacked a human in the
• There are currently 42 orcas known being held captive worldwide; Sea
World (USA) holds 21 orcas, 50% of the world captive total.
• At least 136 orcas have been taken into captivity from the wild since
1961. Of these, over 90% are now dead.
• In the wild, male orcas’ normal lifespan is 35 – 60 years.
• The median survival time for the 40 orcas born in captivity to have
survived over 12 months (both dead and currently alive) is 8 years.
• 152 orcas have died in captivity (captive and wild born)
• Shamu Stadium, one of the biggest, is only 10.7 meters deep; Orcas
are used to diving 60 meters in the wild.
• Orcas home ranges can be from 500 to 900 miles long
• Orcas often range up to 100 miles a day, and thousands of miles a year
• Captive Orcas are separated from their family members and mothers are
taken away from babies
• In the wild, orcas live in closely bonded groups, often spanning 4
• Orcas have highly developed brains; captive Orcas are forced to
perform demeaning tricks for human entertainment
• Orcas’ use of dialects and the passing of other learned behaviors
across generations has been described as a form of culture
• 60% to 90% Orcas in captivity develop dorsal fin collapse
• Orcas have possibly the most sophisticated sound receptors in the
natural world, but are forced to perform among screaming crowds and
• Orcas can communicate with pods hundreds of miles away. Their calls
just bounce back to them off the concrete walls of their enclosures.
• Each time you go to Sea World, you’re supporting the imprisonment of
magnificent, intelligent, wild creatures.
PLEASE DON’T GO TO SEA WORLD