Monday, December 1, 2008

what to do with the remains of the bird?

so every year I end up taking home all sorts of weird leftover bits from the holiday feasts I attend. I bare to see this stuff thrown away. I think I must be channeling my depression era ancestors, it really is a compulsion. A challenge if you will! what can I create out of this mauled bit of turkey carcass, a few green beans and the leftover stuffing and potatoes???

i thought you would never ask!

my plan this week is to post a different idea everyday as to what you can do with all of those delicious leftovers...besides eat thanksgiving ..again....not that there is anything wrong with that. Just some inspiration for those of you who need a change!

so here is day one. A lovely stock recipe to get rid of that carcass in your fridge. I got this one straight Martha, the goddess herself!








Easy Turkey Stock

Prep: 5 minutes

Total: 2 hours 30 minutes

Ingredients

3 quarts

  • Bones of 1 cooked turkey
  • 5 quarts water
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Directions

  1. In a large stockpot, combine turkey bones, water, onions, celery, carrot, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, skimming occasionally, about 2 hours.
  2. Strain into airtight containers; cool completely. Cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze up to 6 months.


2 comments:

kat said...

one person i know does a similar stock. she omits the bay, & tosses in a jalepeno.

~Phaedra~ said...

thanks for the recipe, I'm always looking for a new stock/soup base..