Thursday, December 31, 2009

Roses and Horses



Imagine a little girl in the frozen environs of the mid-west, glued to her television watching the Rose Parade go by. I was mesmerized, all the beautiful colors, the nice announcer man telling me all the cool things that the floats were made out of. I was hooked. Fast forward to 2010, I am still here, glued to my tv watching all the beautiful floats go by. I haven't missed a parade since i was 3 years old.



I can't wait for the parade tomorrow. Things have changed so much, the complexity of the floats is mind boggling. But much has remained the same, comforting in its annual appearance. The horse troops, the marching bands and old cars. The roses and many of the same plant materials year after year. There is always the little thrill of some new plant material used to create some fantastic color or texture.

Who knows, this year I may even manage to get up there and see the floats in person.

No comments: